Visitor Orientation Volunteer
Tuesdays, 12pm to 3pm
- Application deadline
The Museum of Science and Industry is looking for volunteers to assist the Visitor Experience department in delivering outstanding customer service for all of our visitors.
Located on the historic site of the world's oldest surviving passenger railway station and housed in five listed buildings, the Museum of Science and Industry's amazing galleries and outstanding collections tell the story of Manchester's scientific and industrial past, present and future. Our mission is to explore where science met industry and the modern world began, and to understand the impact that Manchester's scientific and technological innovations continue to have on all our lives.
The Visitor Experience (VE) team are the first port of call for most visitors. You will be an important addition to the team and will provide a strong welcome to visitors. You will answer basic enquiries and promote key exhibitions, facilities and programmes (e.g. machine demonstrations or workshops).
- To be courteous, welcoming and reassuring to all visitors.
- To enhance the experience of all visitors by signposting them to key exhibitions, facilities and programming.
- To know key information about current exhibitions, facilities, programming and commercial experiences (Fly 360 and Morphis simulators).
- To answer visitor queries and problems, or seek assistance of those who can do so, reporting any issues to the VE team or other members of staff.
- To take care of your personal health and safety and that of others, and report any health and safety concerns to a member of staff.
Key skills required
This role would suit those who:
- Are friendly, enthusiastic and passionate about the museum.
- Enjoy meeting and chatting to people, and be confident in proactively approaching visitors in a friendly and professional way.
- Are able to work well both independently and as part of a team.
- Have excellent timekeeping.
- Have a passion for providing a high level of customer service.
- Have a positive and proactive attitude.
- Are flexible and able to adapt quickly to changes and situations as they arise.
- General volunteering induction by Volunteering Coordinator
- Departmental induction by VE Duty Manager
- Ongoing training, including online Skillslab, as role requires
Skills you could develop
- Experience of working in a service-focused environment.
- Knowledge and understanding of museums; in particular the Museum of Science and Industry and its collections.
- Good interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate with diverse audiences.
- Further experience of working as part of a team.
- Experience of sharing information and using your own initiative.
- Gaining experience in a customer-facing role, developing your customer service skills in large organisations and fast-paced environments.
How to apply
If you would like to apply for this opportunity, please complete our application form and email it back to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.