Tuesdays and Wednesdays, 11am to 1pm
- Application deadline
The Museum of Science and Industry is looking for volunteers to facilitate handling for visitors on gallery.
Located on the historic site of the world's oldest surviving passenger railway station, the Museum of Science and Industry's amazing galleries and outstanding collections tell the story of Manchester's scientific and industrial past, present and future. Our mission is to explore where science met industry and the modern world began, and to understand the impact that Manchester science, technology and innovation continues to have on all our lives.
The Learning team aims to provide life-enhancing experiences for all of our audiences. An important addition to the team, you will be based in the Textiles Gallery and will engage audiences with our handling collection. By telling stories about these objects, you will provoke conversation, develop an interest in the museum’s themes and highlight where audiences can visit across the site to learn more.
- To work as part of a pair to facilitate safe and inspiring handling of the museum's collections
- To talk to visitors about the objects and answer general questions about the museum
- To signpost visitors to key exhibitions, facilities and programming across the site
This role would suit those who:
- Are friendly, enthusiastic and passionate about the museum
- Have an interest in museum collections and their management and/or interpretation
- Have an interest in learning within museums
- Enjoy talking to a wide range of people
- Enjoy learning new information and sharing their knowledge with others
- Are able to work well independently and as part of a team
- Have a passion for providing a high level of customer service
- Have excellent timekeeping
- Handling volunteer training, delivered by the Learning team
Skills you could develop
- Good interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate with diverse audiences
- Experience of sharing information and using your own initiative
- Knowledge and understanding of museums; in particular the Museum of Science and Industry and its collections
- Experience of working in an audience-focused environment
- Further experience of working as part of a team
- Specialist knowledge about conservation and object handling in museums
- Specialist knowledge of learning within museums
How to apply
If you would like to apply for this opportunity, please complete our application form and email it back to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.