Explosions: A Blast from the Past
Interactive science show
- £3.50 per pupil
- 30-minute show available at 10.30am, 11.30am, 1.15pm and 2pm
- Learning Loft, Great Western Warehouse
- Step-free access. Wheelchair accessible toilets in Learning Loft. Read our facilities guide.
In this energetic, fun and investigative science show, your pupils will learn how to think scientifically and harness the energy of explosions.
We need your pupils' scientific enquiry skills to discover the fuel source of an accidental historical explosion.
On our journey to discover the difference between fire and explosions, we'll make a dust flame-thrower, stun you with steam and even pop cow trumps!
What will they learn?
- That the expansion of steam can cause an explosion, but the change of water into steam is reversible.
- That setting cotton on fire is an irreversible change, and that fire can give off lots of heat energy.
- The ingredients of a fire triangle, as we set a variety of metals on fire and create a flame rainbow.
- How the energy from an explosion is distributed in all directions, and that it can also release sound energy.
- How you can channel the energy an explosion releases and therefore the energy of motion.
NB: Explosions will include loud bangs and flashing lights, which may not be suitable for everyone so please consider this before booking. If you have any question regarding this, then please feel free to get in touch.